Like & Share

Monday, April 09, 2018

#WrestleMania #Raw

[VIDEO] Last night I saw my first ever WrestleMania. Believe it or not as a long time pro-wrestling fan I've never ever watched a pay-per-view live as it happened. There was one pay-per-view in memory that I saw fresh though not live on TV at the time and it was the WWE produced ECW One Night Stand bought on DVD.

As with any wrestling event such as Raw & SmackDown every week there are bound to be high points and low points along the card. The lowest point had to have been the Universal Championship match between Roman Reigns and the champ Brock Lesnar. I heard the "boring" and "this is awful" chants as Lesnar stalks a prone Reigns as he continues his suplex city routine and assault. Needless to say this match ended in a Lesnar victory, he's held the title for a long time and no part for a part-time performer.

I was seen as a bit of a shocker to see Asuka lose to Charlotte Flair ending her undefeated streak. If the Flair name is familiar to you she is the daughter of the legendary "Nature Boy" Rick Flair and she had a magnificient WrestleMania entrance before he match which used her dad's wrestling theme Thus Sparch Zarathustra by Richard Strauss. Great match to watch it was quite a fight if you will.

The most interesting was a match between two legends John Cena and The Undertaker. Cena had been calling out "The Dead Man" up until even the last Raw before WrestleMania. The paths for Cena to get his match at WrestleMania dried up until he made a last ditch call out to The Undertaker. And while the Undertaker showed no signs of responding he came out at WrestleMania, hell even WWE referees were going into the crowd to find Cena to let him know "The Phenom" was in the house and ready for his match. And thanks to some swerves it almost seemed like it wouldn't happen until it did. And even though Cena lost he got his WrestleMania moment.

The New Day and Usos got demolished by the monster tag team known as the Bludgeon Bros who also won the SmackDown tag championship. Braun Strowman pulled a child from the crowd at the Superdome to be his tag team partner to win the Raw tag championship from Cesaro and Sheamus of The Bar. The kid is living up his new celebrity though we may never see that young man again.

To my disappointment the modern day maharaja Jinder Mahal won a four way match with US Champ Randy Orton, former US Champ Bobby Roode, and yet another former US Champ Rusev to win the US Title. I'm not a huge fan of Mahal, and had my favorite to win the match which was former TNA performer Roode. Regardless this was another hard fought match if you will.

Then I was suprised to see the rock star Shinsuke Nakamura turning heel after losing his match to the WWE Champ AJ Styles. They seem to show their mutual respect until Nakamura hit Styles with a low blow and assaulted him after their match. It got my attention and if you see the audience there it clearly got their attention also.

Anyway I've ran a rough gamut of all matches that took place last night in New Orleans. For my first WrestleMania it was a great show. My next goal is to go to a WrestleMania and it doesn't matter much to me if I have to travel for it. I want to do more traveling anyway.

2 comments:

JakeCP said...

What were your thoughts on Angle/Rousey V. HHH/Stephanie?

Levois said...

It was cool to see Rhonda Rousey debut and Kurt Angle perform at WrestleMania, however, I didn't view this as an entertaining match. It didn't hold my attention other than some theatrics. If nothing else I'm glad the underdogs won over their bosses.

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!