Like & Share

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The location of the real Springfield

Image from The Simpsons wiki

A few years ago I could've sworn there was a vote or a competition to determine where the fictitious town of Springfield from The Simpsons is located. Well here's an interview (via Instapundit) with  series creator Matt Groening
OK, why do the Simpsons live in a town called Springfield? Isn’t that a little generic?
Springfield was named after Springfield, Oregon. The only reason is that when I was a kid, the TV show “Father Knows Best” took place in the town of Springfield, and I was thrilled because I imagined that it was the town next to Portland, my hometown. When I grew up, I realized it was just a fictitious name. I also figured out that Springfield was one of the most common names for a city in the U.S. In anticipation of the success of the show, I thought, “This will be cool; everyone will think it’s their Springfield.” And they do.

You’ve never said it was named after Springfield, Oregon, before, have you?
I don’t want to ruin it for people, you know? Whenever people say it’s Springfield, Ohio, or Springfield, Massachusetts, or Springfield, wherever, I always go, “Yup, that’s right.”
Are those the answers you were looking for Simpson's fans or are you still confused? It's probably safe to say that the Springfield from the show is based on Springfield, OR but it isn't that real life town.

Then again no one asked me to explain his answer! :P

1 comment:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!