Like & Share

Monday, April 28, 2008

I had to opine about this

You know something I ought to root for this guy. I don't think it's your employer's business why exactly you and your wife is getting divorced. There are those religious types who won't see much of a difference between one getting divorce because the marriage isn't working out or someone in the marriage cheated.

I understand that sometimes divorces can affect the job a person is doing. Surely it does happen, however letting your employer know that you have issues at home is where it should stay. I wouldn't expect to hear anything more about it than that. Then again I understand that every employer have different rules and will require a little more than letting them know you have issues at home.

Here's more...

After 30 years of marriage and 20 years of teaching, Kent Gramm is getting divorced and losing his job at the same time.

But Gramm is not surprised. He knew when divorce proceedings started that unemployment was a possibility.

Gramm, a professor of English at Wheaton College, and his wife are in the midst of a split, and because he refuses to discuss the cause of the divorce with college officials -- school policy requires the divorce be within acceptable parameters -- he is resigning.

Otherwise, the college would have fired him.

"I feel a lot of sadness," Gramm said from his office on the Wheaton campus.

"However, I'm mentally prepared, because I was aware of the school's policy."

Teachers, students and employees of Wheaton, an evangelical Christian school, commit to live their lives according to a Statement of Faith and Community Covenant that spells out suitable behavior.

"You sign the statement when you accept employment at the college," said Sarah Clark, director of media relations. "Everyone knows it's part of the deal."

Wheaton is known as a conservative college where smoking, drinking and gambling are not allowed. Dancing became acceptable only four years ago, breaking a ban that had been in place since the Civil War.

Wheaton's policy acknowledges divorce can occur in a Christian marriage, and it does not consider divorce an "unpardonable sin." But college officials reserve the right to review the cause of a divorce, something that Gramm refused to discuss.

"I think it's wrong to have to accuse your spouse and to discuss with your employer your personal life and marital situation," Gramm said. "But I don't feel badly treated. There has been an attitude of compassion here."

I suppose I can ask an obvious question. Who is any man to determine what is sin? Especially an unpardonable one? I know some religious people and when I say that I'm referring to anyone as a believer, a congregant, or a pastor take on that mantle. If you want to ask me I have my values, but it is not for me to judge. And yes this article says nothing about how they've judged this professor and it certainly helps that he chose not to discuss this with college officials. You know I'm surprised this even made the news today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!