Like & Share

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

VIDEO: This only a test



YouTube user FuzzyMemories has some videos from Chicago's TV past. Most of the videos come from the late 1970s to the 1980s. Most of the stuff from the 1980s I remember. And it gives me a sense of nostalgia.

This video you see posted is a test of the emergency broadcast system. It used to scare me and it was probably that long sound that was being made. I made sure I changed the channel when one of these came up.

It has been revamped in recent years. What you saw was test of the Emergency Broadcast System and it was replaced by the Emergency Alert System. Maybe in a few years EAS will be replaced by something much better. Who knows.

To be sure I'm a lot older now and the EAS is much scarier than the EBS. I'll tell you why because while the test is going on (at least during those rare occasions that I've heard it) I would hear the governor of Illinois or the mayor of Chicago make an announcement of this test. Now our leaders can talk directly to us when there is an emergency. Gulp!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!