Like & Share

Sunday, July 01, 2018

NY Times: 3 Black U.S. Senators Introduce Bill to Make Lynching a Federal Hate Crime

I was inches away from dismissing this as an empty gesture talking about there being more tangible issues to address as far as Black Americans. Now I can say, hmm it surprises me that the United States hadn't at any point in time been successfully been able to enact anti-lynching legislation.

I feel this will be a symbolic law unless the law addresses more modern issues. We believe in Black Lives Matter, perhaps use such a law to address any racially motivated police actions. Of course, keep the often feared mob from deciding to take justice in their own hands that often happened to many victims of lynching during the course of the 19th and 20th centuries.

Of course my impression of lynching had often been unfortunately racially motivated. Which is entirely why I could see this law as symbolic. Of course I'd be open to learning why having anti-lynching legislation is still very important now in the 21st century.

BTW, I'd be interested in this National Memorial for Peace & Justice in Montgomery, Alabama. This is the only memorial dedicated primarily for the victims of lynching in this nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!