Like & Share

Friday, July 07, 2017

Life plan for high school diploma?

[VIDEO] When I graduate from high school years ago, my mind was no even close to considering the next steps. If only my mind was on a gap year as I still was unsure about the next step. Some time off could've helped me although what would I do during that time off.

So off to the City Colleges of Chicago I went. Even worse I'm a long way from wanting to reach out to a counselor to even help formulate a plan for post-secondary life. If anyone needed a plan it's yours truly as an 18-year-old kid.

Funny part about this story though, my grades in high school were good. I tried to tell my parents they came too easy as I was never an honor roll student in grammar school. As a matter of fact my mother told me recently that she just plain forgot about the grade from the elementary days. Due to whatever I did in high school there were some expectations and I never met them!

Well to discuss the video you see above, this idea is well intended. Unfortunately like a lot of ordinances coming out of Chicago's City Council this could backfire. You want to help kids decide on their futures don't hold a diploma from them - a diploma is certainly a very important accomplishment for so many Chicago Public School students. Instead create a program so that they can have the tools to make some short-term life plans such as after high school life.

Pair them with a counselor who will discuss some options with them. Perhaps find some mentoring programs. Make life plans an expectation but not a condition for graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!