Like & Share

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Capitol Fax: Sen. Kirk announces support for gay marriage

It caught my eye this morning that the junior US Senator from Illinois - Republican Mark Kirk - has come out in favor of gay marriage. Rich Miller of the Capitol Fax gave a brief blurb and one of the links he offered was from Sen. Kirk's blog:

When I climbed the Capitol steps in January, I promised myself that I would return to the Senate with an open mind and greater respect for others.

Same-sex couples should have the right to civil marriage. Our time on this Earth is limited, I know that better than most. Life comes down to who you love and who loves you back-- government has no place in the middle.
Why I'm advertising the Capitol Fax is the always very active and opinionated comments section. While a majority of the comments are generally supportive of the Senator's stance on gay marriage, the debate seems to find it's way back towards where many think the GOP should be going.

One comment caught my eye: "Ronny, I’d say he’s acting more like an old-school Illinois Republican. You know, the ones who were relevant and won elections and such."

If you want to know about an old school Illinois Republican check this post about former Governor Jim Thompson.

Here's another interesting comment: "Well done, United States Senator Mark Kirk. Help our Party, sir, understand the Reagan Rule of 80% is far more important than the 'Purity' those 'Non-RINOs' crave."

It went from the continuing debate over the whether or not gays should be allowed civil marriage (other than the civil unions already offered in IL starting in 2011) to the direction of the Republican Party of Illinois if not nationwide. I

I didn't want to engage in this debate this time around. If you read my blog long enough you know my position and while it has changed slightly overtime it really hasn't changed much. What has my focus is on the debate over the Republican direction.

Frankly this state has suffered through becoming primarily a Democratic majority state. I don't entirely understand why any significant population will go with one side and totally shun the other side. There shouldn't be a problem with any Republican taking a stand on the controversial issue of gay marriage. And who knows in Illinois this might change the tide where Republicans can finally make in roads.

Another thing that has been said here about RINOs is that I generally don't believe in that. What makes a Republican pure and in this state with its history of corruption in both parties, RINOs don't make that much difference. Indeed in the past decade Republicans haven't been able to get anywhere near power. Therefore shunning so-called RINOs isn't helping at this moment.

Other than that would Sen. Kirk or any other Republican's stance on gay marriage affect your support or non-support for this issue? Would it affect your support for either party?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!