Like & Share

Thursday, July 16, 2020

Free expression

On one of my other blogs I created a free speech or free expressions page and someone who looked it over said it needed something extra for it to gain some traction. Well as you see it's not my expertise, though I realize there are so many ways you could get some traction.

I see that free speech or expression is under attack. It's been under attack for years, however, it's really under attack currently. For expressing your opinion you could literally lose your livelihood or even reputation over your expression. Often what protects you from  any attempt to destroy your life is to express more "popular" opinions.

So hearing about the attempts to limit speech and expression on college campuses in recent years that's why I wrote the page which includes the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution and the appropriate section from the Illinois state constitution. Then again I also recognize that while we do have a universal right to free speech or expression as enshrined in our federal & state supreme legal documents there are those who still try to silence those they disagree with.

I've ran across a video years ago that showed a group of college students of various backgrounds claim that you've lost your right to free speech the moment you express hate. Really? Define hate. Is it racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. I get the idea it just won't stop there, anytime you disagree with someone who has this idea of limiting expression due to "hate" it could really become you express hate because you disagree with a particular point of view and it makes one uncomfortable.

Either way check my page out on this blog or the other page I have created. If you have some ideas to take it further leave a comment there. Otherwise I'm sure one day it will get some attention.

Also I wanted an excuse to share this video from John Stossel, one of his more recent videos. It shows what fair, right thinking Americans are up against. It doesn't matter your profession or even your political leanings, people who think of disagreement as hate will turn on you and decide you have no rights. [VIDEO]
As that video illustrates such individuals are beginning to infiltrate newsrooms. If conservatives think the media is heavily biased, if you got individuals willing to play with the livelihoods of other members of a news room we haven't seen the worst of this bias yet. Just consider a scathing resignation letter written by a now former NY Times opinion editor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!