Like & Share

Friday, January 17, 2020

What is impeachment? How is it different from a criminal trial?

I'm embarrased to say that I haven't really followed this as a political junkie. It's very possible that the President will likely be acquitted in his impeachment trial in the US Senate. It's a Republican dominated chamber unlike the US House which is dominated by Democrats as of the 2018 elections. Either way I'm not concerned about upheaval because of Trump being removed from office.

If you're unsure of the impeachment process I found this on twitter. Impeachment isn't criminal, just a political way to remove someone from office without having to wait for yet another election.
In my lifetime there was one other attempt at impeachment and it was Bill Clinton, although both houses of Congress were held by Republicans back then say 1998-99 Clinton finished the remainder of his second term. I'm sure the public is still divided over whether or not we should've gone through that process.

I'm sure back then as now many consider going through the impeachment process frivolous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!