Like & Share

Sunday, September 06, 2009

Home-schooler ordered to attend public school

I don't think I'll rant and rave on this one. I sympathize with home schoolers at the same time the father of this child went to court to get his daughter into public school. Of course the only possible direction this can turn is that there are other attempts to restrict those parents who want to homeschool.
A New Hampshire court ordered a home-schooled Christian girl to attend a public school this week after a judge criticized the "rigidity" of her mother's religious views and said the 10-year-old needed to consider other worldviews as she matures.

Ever since the judge's ruling came out in July, the case has aroused the interest of home-schooling groups nationwide, who have asked why a court has the power to decide whether someone's religious views are too extreme.

The girl's mother, Brenda Voydatch, has engaged the Alliance Defense Fund, a Christian legal group based in Scottsdale, Ariz., to contest the ruling, in which the judge granted a request by the girl's father, Martin Kurowski, that the girl go to a public school.
I think I may have misunderstood the point of this article. It wasn't necessarily about homeschooling, but whether or not a court can decide the potency (if that's the right term for it) of a person's religious POV. There are those who's religious POV that I couldn't agree with, but it's not up to me to make that determination. In fact it's easier for me to vote with my feet.

Too bad that this is piggy backed on whether or not this little girl should either be homeschooled or sent to a school.

Via Newsalert! Asking the question: "Does John Dewey's philosophy own you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!