Like & Share

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Teen shot en route to crap shoot

WTF is this?

You know at his age I knew young men who were gambling. Some shot craps and some played for quarters during their lunch period at school or even during class with a substitute teacher. Even I won one of those games although ultimately I gave back the quarter I won. Didn't really want to gamble in the first place.

I drove by Bennett Elementary School one day a year or two ago. I wanted to take a pic of that school, but I didn't even stop because I saw some people shooting craps right on the steps of that school.

To me it was disrespect, because that place is hollowed ground to me, I used to go there. Almost like the pic I took of an alcohol bottle on the grounds of it's branch school Shedd Elementary. However left it there disrespect the school and who went there and who knows that person may very well have went there themselves, but doesn't share the same ideas that I do on it.

Well a 15 year old was shot on his way to a dice game and this is why I started this blog in this fashion:
Tenth-grader Marquell Blake was headed for a dice game Wednesday when an man shot the teenager in the chest, killing him on the street just a few blocks from his family home, relatives said.

Blake, 15, was on spring break when he was shot about 12:30 p.m. in the 7700 block of South Carpenter Street, police said. He was the 32nd Chicago Public Schools student slain this school year.

Family members said Blake had agreed to shoot dice before a man shot him in a robbery attempt. He was carrying a large amount of cash, and his attacker knew it, a source said.
I've probably said it here already, but it's a shame that CPS is keeping stats on things like this.

And Mr. Blake is too young to be taken for a wad of cash. I would also say he's too young to be taking part in a game of dice. Unfortunately the age of getting involved in risky behavior or activities well a lot will do that when they're younger.

What's worse is this young man didn't have his first brush with violence on this occasion the Tribune article said that he was stabbed six months ago. What are we going to do about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!