Like & Share

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Two pieces of news from the world of big tech

 Let me start off with this.

Meta plans to introduce paid verification subscription service

If you remember last year Elon Musk bought twitter and then allowed subscribers to Twitter Blue to become verified. Of course it lead to somewhat interesting consequences.

Regardless I feel as if to pay to be verified isn't too unreasonable although on Twitter there are some legacy verified accounts under different criteria. I'm sure those consequences that I alluded to led to some better criteria specifically for those accounts masquerading as real people or real entities.

So I do hope that Meta rolls this out soon for users of FB and IG and I already have an idea for that. Perhaps Meta can avoid the bellyaching at Twitter.

YouTube CEO steps down.

YouTube has a CEO? Susan Wojcicki has lead the company for about nine years and is stepping down. As you know YouTube is part of Alphabet which owns Google.

One of my current goals is to get that silver play button, since my own YouTube channel now has over 100 subscribers finally. If I ever did get that play button there would be a letter attached to it and Wojcicki's signature would be on it. Looks like now her successor Neal Mohan will be doing those honors.

With that said YouTube is among those sites (which also includes IG, FB, and Twitter) that in the last few years have been hit with charges of censorship. Especially with regards to politics or even information with regards to the pandemic. I can't entirely blame Wojcicki because I have no real idea if she was spearheading these efforts she was still an important person at YouTube. It happened on her watch.

Of course being part of a Big Tech corporation that's probably not something she can be in full control of anyway. Of course Mark Zuckerberg controls Meta and thus FB and IG and now Musk owns Twitter. Different story there although under the ownership of Musk Twitter has set a new course as far as freedom of speech on the platform.

So what will Mohan bring to the table as the CEO of YouTube?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!