Like & Share

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Re: Windy City Silence

On Twitter, the Woodlawn Wonder wanted to know:
What about the article drew you to post it? Do you think she's right? Do you think the article is entirely factual?
Quite a few questions and not sure I can get the answers. The article in question from City Journal is here.

To be sure I was interested in the sociological aspects of the article. In most of the crimes discussed in the article or otherwise the wave of violence in Chicago, what is the background of those involved. To they come from broken homes? At that is this issue being discussed amongst the powers that be in Chicago?

Also, I'm not entirely certain she is right in her assumption. Or I will admit I didn't think much of that. I will say that if there is a root cause to the issue of youth violence that we should find it and address it beyond discussing gun control, stiffer criminal penalties, or even creating more social programs and policies. Although if we are to address issues of what's going on at home we're definitely talked about a new set of policies to look at what happens at home.

Finally it's hard for me to say whether or not it is factual. It's definitely an opinion that I believe is logical. The reason I share it is to encourage discussion because while I have my own ideas on this issue I'm not trying to pretend that I know so much about it. Hopefully whoever reads this article whether or not they are in the field of the social sciences can be able to shed some light on this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!