Like & Share

Friday, January 06, 2006

Fire rages at Pilgrim Baptist Church...

At about 4PM, I saw coverage of the fire at Pilgrim Baptist from FOX Chicago and CLTV. Pilgrim Baptist Church is a historic black church originally built between 1890-91 as a Jewish Synagogue. It was also the birthplace of gospel music. The church is located at 3301 S. Indiana and was dedicated a city landmark in 1981.

Incidentally I find this interesting that this occurred after the news of Lou Rawls' death. Although he does indeed hail from the Bronzeville community, I can't say if Mr. Rawls ever had a connection the Pilgrim Baptist Chruch.

I should add that according to what I'm hearing on the TV, there isn't much left of the structure but I at least still see that the walls are up but now the church may just be gutted.

Fire rages at historic church from Chicago Tribune

UPDATED: I'm not the only one tracking this in the bloggosphere.

And check out these photographs from ChicagoEye.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!