Like & Share

Monday, August 03, 2020

ABL: George Floyd BODYCAM Video of Arrest RELEASED! (REACTION)

[VIDEO] I don't think I've ever seen the full footage of George Floyd's arrest and probably never will. My issue is always about watching a man's death in real time, that's a problem though I recognize many would watch such an uncomfortable subject develop.

I did see the bits and piece of video taken from police officer body cam of this incident. And it causes me to call into action of the officers involved in this situation including Derrek Chauvin. The bodycam footage was released by the Daily Mail and is said to be from two officers on the scene - Thomas Lane & Alex Keung. Chauvin is currently in custody awaiting trial and due to his role in the unrest immediate after the death of Floyd is undergoing divorce proceedings from his wife.

Well I've only heard about the autopsy of George Floyd and it's understood that he wasn't in the best of health. Not only that he did actually have some narcotics in his system and reportedly he was positive for coronavirus, however, was said to be asymptomatic.

He was in a car his passengers was questioned by police at the time. Things seemed police, however, Floyd was said to be acting erratically which makes since because he was under the influence. Floyd said he couldn't breath while sitting in a squad car long before Chauvin had his knee on Floyd's neck. Floyd scrambled out of the car, and stated he wanted to lay on the ground. After this somehow Chauvin restrained Floyd with the knee on his neck.

Anthony Brian Logan noted in his reaction that this technique in restraint was at the time in the Minneapolis textbook. Of course in light of the outrage I'm sure many police departments including the abolished Minneapolis Police Department took this out of their textbooks. However this perspective causes me to change my opinion about what happened this past Memorial day.

I may owe Chauvin an apology knowing that I knew before seeing this, I just thought his callous actions caused Floyd's death. Now I'm not so sure, and hopefully a jury who will hear this case won't be so quick to throw the book at the now fired police officer. It causes me to wonder what the unrest of the weekend afterwards was all for.

I'm not saying there aren't some reforms to be made. I'm not saying we shouldn't have some real discussions about policing. Now I can be more fair to Mr. Chauvin than was true before seeing this new footage.

Time will have to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!