Like & Share

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Partisan politics being part of the solution

On this blog over the years I've flirted with the idea that I was a Republican. Then sometimes I just back away slowly from that idea. To be Black and a Republican has occasionally not been a very polite subject with some of the people I've met in my life. If I express support or say who I voted for here comes judgemental comments and only for voting for a Republican candidate I get called a Republican.

Only once have I actually pulled a Republican ballot in an election. In 2012 I voted for Ron Paul as I believed in some of his ideas especially the idea of non-intervention and strict controls on government. It's still a valuable idea and perhaps the next big shift in this nation's history is to go in Paul's direction which is often described as constitutionalist or libertarian.

In trying to make a point I want to hit you on a little Chicago political history. These days in Chicago and Cook County if you win the Democrat primary for any office federal, county, state, or even in Chicago (although there are no partisan primaries in municipal elections anymore) you are a shoo-in. Don't bother really campaigning in this part of Illinois people aren't going to vote Republican. They can't bring themselves to make such a radical move in droves.

I want to note that in 1972 the Cook County State's Attorney was Edward Hanrahan and unfortunately his office was involved in a raid on some Black Panthers on the west side of Chicago that proved very fatal. For Hanrahan's political career it proved fatal as although he won the Democratic primary that year, he lost to his Republican opponent a man by the name Bernard Carey (the last comment on this blog was on a post I wrote about him after his death). Basically Black Democrats were so upset about this raid at the time which took place in 1969 that they chose to vote Republican that year.

With this said, it's hard to see that ever happening here in Chicago in the current climate. The political climate of Cook County was far different in 1972 than 2020. I think people are very solidly Democrat now to the point where a Republican could run against a weakened Democrat, but the weakened Democrat will still win in the general election.

So in giving you that political lesson, perhaps I could have a home within the fabled Chicago Democrat machine. I could be something of a more common sense or even conservative voice within that space. And the reason why I might back off of that is the same reason why I may back off of being Republican. Would I feel comfortable either way?

I always had the idea that if I joined the Democrats that I would be forced to toe the party line. If I spoke on issues that I believed are important for example tackling the issues of crime and economic development in low income communities it wouldn't sit well with the machine. A true leader shouldn't just toe the party line which is my belief, a leader must do that they believe is right and just.

On the Republican side while I could view myself as a voice in the wilderness largely unencumbered within the space of a more dominant party I would be view as an anomaly. I get the feeling I'd be with people who wouldnt understand me as a person that would join them with genuine interest in their political platform. On the other hand the people that I wish to follow me likely wouldn't because of that R behind my name.

I write all this to say that on another blog I wrote about being part of the solution. I'm still trying to figure that out, however, in going to college to study political science my goal was to always be part of the game. I do want to be part of the solution and now get the feeling that I've largely been sitting on the sidelines, with my blogs aside.

At that point my best answer is one that still being figured out at this point. Now in a time of unrest with what happened in Minneapolis or the ongoing issues in Atlanta to name a few places now is the time for the new leaders to emerge. As for my own personal sensibilities, it wouldn't matter much if they have a D or an R next to their name. We just need strong firm leaders right now and in some places around the nation such creatures are now missing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!