Like & Share

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Calls for more gun control

Should we be surprised. I saw some posts on the NIU shooting last week over a Clout Street. Read them here, here & here.

This afternoon I see this post from Crimefiles about a Sun-Times column by Carol Marin. He obviously disagrees with Marin. Obviously believing that "gun free zones" is a bad idea and subscribing to the simplified, "guns don't kill people, people kill people".

The only question I can muster is, what do we do about these crazies with the guns. I don't necessarily think that allowing American college to students to carry guns on campus is the answer no more than not allowing responsible adults own guns is the answer. To be sure I don't know what the answer is right now.

For some and I suppose for me as well allowing a responsible adult (by adult I do mean a civilian especially if the police can't get at the scene of the crime quick enough) is as good an answer as any in stopping a person with problems from engaging in a shooting spree. That's what happened at the University of Texas at Austin in 1966 when a man decided to start shooting at the top of a tower on Campus. It's mentioned in Crimefiles' post.

So two answers have been advanced gun control isn't the answer especially if it infringes on the right of a person to defend himself and his property. I don't think allowing students to have guns on campus is an answer either. Although I must admit if a responsible student had a gun in his possession when this shooter was engaged in his spree who knows if this person could have saved some lives or cut that spree short!

Oh and I have to ask, what is this gun culture Carol Marin speaks of? Yeah there are those who might treat a gun like a toy, such individuals probably couldn't be trusted with a gun if someone else's life depended on it. Then there are those who use a gun for nothing more than self-defense. I submit that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. How does this create a sick gun culture?

Do gun control advocates really believe that the police has the ultimate job of protecting citizens?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!