Like & Share

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Superman Returns...

I was finally able to see this film today. I liked it but there were some things that I would have liked to have seen. I'm happy that this is an updated vision from 1978 (the first Superman movie).

I can come up with some imagery seen in the Max Fleischer Superman cartoons of the 1930 & 40s. And I can say some of this movie was pulled right off the pages of DC Comics as it was in Batman Begins. It was great to see Superman zoom past as I would hope movie makers would be able to do it. I was really impressed by the sequence in which Superman attempted to save the Shuttle and its piggy back aircraft.

What I was disappointed by though was the art direction taken directly from the earlier Superman movies. They even retained the Superman theme by John Williams, but I didn't have as big of a problem with that as I did the design of the titles and the design of the Fortress of Solitude. I was a little disappointed by the portrayal of Lex Luthor by Kevin Spacey. I was hoping for the ruthless capitalist Luthor that I have gotten used to through the comic books instead of the takeoff from Gene Hackman's portrayal from the earlier four movies.

All the same I liked the movie. I hope that there will be more and perhaps the series will truly come into it's own. I suggest you guys see this movie before it leaves the theaters.

BTW, this was the second movie I've seen this summer. The first was Mission:Impossible 3 back in May and I probably saw it the first weekend. I've yet to blog about it but perhaps for filler I will though it may be more of a review should anyone decide to see it on DVD. And there's another movie I look forward to this summer, Miami Vice. That will be the next summer movie blog.

Finally I've started a new Movie blog there I just talk about some of the movies in my collection and perhaps even films I saw on TV or in the theaters. This may be one more reason to pull out the first Superman movie so that I can post about it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!