Like & Share

Sunday, June 18, 2006

A good Father's Day column...

From Sun-Times columnist Mary Mitchell about the role father's play in the rearing of children. Check out this quote...
My concern is that too many of us have convinced ourselves that the absence of fathers -- whether through divorce, neglect or other circumstances -- can be easily overcome by the presence of a strong black woman. Having been a single parent, I know from experience that single mothers can and do raise healthy families.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel my own children were shortchanged because they did not have their father at home daily even though he was a consistent presence in their lives despite our divorce.

Fathers are just that critical to a child's development.
Mary Mitchell alludes to the fact that many black children are growing up without their father. A disturbing trend for sure. But I would hope many of these fathers can teach their little boys to be responsible men and their little girls to be respectible ladies. Well that's my idea I'm sure there are other ideas for fatherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!