A few things to know about Classical Liberalism. Some people involved with Classical Liberalism. John Locke, Adam Smith, and Alexis de Tocquville.
1) Limited government - fence government off from individual rights
2) Rule of law - laws are written so that citizens will know them and that we recognize laws and abide by them.
3) Sanctity of private property & freely made contracts - means of production shouldn't be owned by the state/government
4) Avoidance of arbitrary & discretionary power - to have a written constitution in order to avoid arbitrary and discretionary power
5) Each individual is responsible for their own fate in society.
I will have a little more from my class notes and from the reading. I'm actually finished with this unit so I can just spend spring break reading ahead or finishing this reading.
2 days ago