Like & Share

Monday, November 09, 2020

#FOXEXIT

 At this point I'm a long way from abandoning FOX News. Not long after 9/11 I gravitated towards them in my consumption of news and opinion. I liked what I saw.

My perception is that they break from what I expected from CNN, NBC, ABC or CBS. Of course that's not to say I stopped watching them from the moment I started watching FOX News. I still perceive them as pursuing different stories or even different angles than you would see in the mainstream media, I felt as if I was joining the "dark side". In this case the side that was really trying to be "fair and balanced"

As happens things change. Last year a movie premiered - Bombshell - about the sexual harassment scandal at FOX News which resulted in some shuffling. Roger Ailes moved on and then later Bill O'Reilly moved on. After election day 2016 a popular host Megan Kelly had also moved on to join NBC and that didn't last long.

The Megyn Kelly this was referenced in this Instapundit post. And it brings up the one thing I would be somewhat concerned about seeing the chatter on social media.

FOX News had a loyal following among conservatives and Republicans. It was more friendly to those groups than the mainstream media was. However as I said things change and it seems there is a perception that FOX News wants to be more like CNN in it's coverage. For my tastes I don't want another CNN I want fair and balanced coverage.

There was criticism over Chris Wallace's moderating at the first presidential debate. There was criticism over FOX News' 2020 election coverage and how they arrived at calling Arizona (other networks as CNN or MSNBC weren't so quick to call AZ for Biden) and their delay in calling Florida. And worst still they were quick to call the election for Joe Biden over the weekend.

I do get the idea that when all is said and done no matter how FOX News wants the audience from CNN or MSNBC they will have abandoned the loyal audience who has supported them all these years. I see so many saying they won't ever watch FOX News and will flock to Newsmax or One American News Network. I will also recommend checking out The First which is the new home of Bill O'Reilly's No Spin News.

As they abandon their conservative audience and go full in on Biden/Harris being the President and Vice President-elect respectively they will have egg on their faces. And the networks they hope to join to pursue the same audience will still treat FOX News as the upstarts they find contemptible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!