Like & Share

Wednesday, May 01, 2019

A folding "phablet"

[VIDEO] Sometimes I wish I could get in on these demos for devices that are soon to be released for sale to the public. I've been watching a few videos about this coming Samsung Galaxy Fold and the form factor of the device looks very cool.

Basically as the name suggests it's essentially a foldable phablet. That is it's a mobile phone while folded however as the situation dictates you open the device and you have yourself a small tablet device. Some of the reviews I've seen on YouTube state often that this is the future form factor.

These days we're already living in the era of the smartphone. I would say I've seen the evolution from PDAs to Blackberries and ultimately to smartphones such as Android devices or iPhones. Fairly recently I've evolved from using a flip phone in the original Motorola Razr to a Blackberry Bold and then finally to an iPhone which is still the phone I use to this day even if it's a phone of different generations.

So this fold intrigues me only to have myself wonder if Apple will come out with a similar device of their own in the future. Knowing the competition of tech companies perhaps Apple already is working on a hybrid iPhone/iPad mini device that folds like a Fold.

However, what I recognize now is that how could they market this phone? Could they market the convenience factor? Instead of taking a tablet on vacation with you or anywhere for that matter could you instead utilize your folded phone for that purpose? Could there be a practical application for anyone in the business world?

Well this remains to be see, however, the Galaxy Fold is said to be pricey at $2,000+. The question is how could they get any consumer to want to consider buying this very premium phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!