Like & Share

Monday, April 15, 2019

Morehouse College to consider transgender men

The transgender issue has finally reached the halls of Morehouse College. For those of you who don't know I graduated from Morehouse in 2009 with a BA in pol. sci. and it's the only liberal arts college for Black men.

I also want to note what a difference a decade makes as before graduating it was being debated in my religion class with Dr. Aaron Parker any issues with gay students or cross-dressing students. I wrote about it on this blog at that time and while I never offered my thoughts in class I offered my thoughts. It just shows how my views on that issue from that time had evolved. The thoughts in that earlier post doesn't reflect what I think about homosexuality today.

With this said, it seemed that back then the burning social debate a decade ago was whether or not gay couples should be married. Then a few years after graduating we've resolved this issue, and now the burning social issues of our time is transgender rights. Morehouse is attempting to address this with their new admissions policy as you will see below from The Maroon Tiger.
There's probably a nuance here I don't understand, however, it appears nothing has really changed. If you're a woman transitioning to becoming a man you won't be admitted and if you're a man who decides during his enrollment that he wants to transition to becoming a woman then he won't automatically be eligible for a degree.

It seems as far as whether or not a young man wants to transition into living as a member of the opposite gender a lot of counseling will have to be involved. This I actually agree with one should be able to talk with someone about something I consider an extreme step. I suppose the question to be asked for someone who wants to significantly alter their identity in this way is whether or not they need to stay at a school that wants to retain their masculine identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!