Like & Share

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Is it time to use a tipjar?

A few years ago in October 2005 I floated the idea of starting a PayPal account and starting raising money for my blogging activities. In that post years ago I had some ideas:
  • I need high speed internet access fund.
  • I need a digital camera with focus fund.
  • I need a tripod and other equipment fund.
  • I need my own webspace fund.
  • I need my own computer fund
However it's funny that in 2018, the infrastructure of the internet is so different. Some people have used Amazon where available to score a few extra bucks for example Marathon Pundit. Then there were ads - for example Google Ads which I use at sixthward.us (aka The Sixth Ward blog).

As far as raising money what have I seen out there. Well there's GoFundMe and there's Patreon. If I was more business minded I could create merchandise. Perhaps create a good looking logo for this blog or any of the other blogs I have. Perhaps a pertinent quote or catchphrase or slogan or just one word. Perhaps just emblazon a shirt or ballcap or tote bag with this blog's url.

Then again I could ask anyone to donate bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies. I have seen some blogs out there as for bitcoin for example HeyJackass.com which I had just discovered lately. While cryptocurrencies have experienced some wild ups and downs especially since they're relatively new I also recognize that thanks to this volatility there are some gains to be had with it and of course just as many losses. The main gain is well bitcoin can be cashed out if you're hardpressed for money.

All the same many of these sites or social media content producers that are asking for donations because they have needs. I stated the needs from 2005 though these aren't the needs of 2018 exactly. Many sites or social media producers - which I include YouTubers - mainly ask for your support in the form of monetary donations. I would consider this akin to a tip because you basically liked what was produced for your enjoyment.

Think about it this way you work at a restaurant, you may tip the waiter mainly because you like the service. Certainly another aspect of this is that perhaps you liked the food, of course if you got bad service would you enjoy the food?

Then again even if you just flat out ask for support you have needs. Like any business venture seeking investors of even a loan there are needs. So many people asking for donations or patronage may list the need for books to read (depending upon what their goals are) or equipment (say computers or cameras) or perhaps even webspace or bandwith. I should say in my case if I ask for funds the money could go towards a domain name.

So if I was to ever go these many routes to support my blogging these are the needs for 2018.
  • web domain
  • equipment such as cameras either for video or photography
  • creative software such as wordpress
  • computers - whether a laptop or desktop or even some incidentals to keep them working
  • i suppose i could have a miscellaneous category perhaps research or even field trips
Let me explain that last one, there are occasions where I do want to visit somewhere and document that place. Say for example over at sixthward.us, perhaps I can spend a day of photography in different parts of the city to see the streetscape. Perhaps give some ideas as to what I would like to see on my part of the south side.

Or for this blog, I've had the idea of say going to Gary, Indiana and documenting their downtown area. See how far that city has gone from their 1960s peak. Or better yet go to Detroit and seeing how far they have fallen from their 1950s peak. Though to be fair I've been to Detroit in 2009. Both would be examples of field trip. Who's to say bloggers should just sit behind a computer and right without visiting places.

Also I may need to refine that miscellaneous part a bit more. Another potential expense are for business cards, my cohorts at sixthward.us are keen on business cards and it's about time. So perhaps another way of gaining exposure you meet people you give them business cards hopefully they check you out and like what they see.

Anyway, I hope you all get the gist. Perhaps this is something worth exploring for the future. This has always been a hobby but who knows it can begin to become more of a side hustle at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!