Like & Share

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Shah's son sees echoes of 1979 in Iran

I found this link because I was just curious about what the son of the deposed Shah of Iran thought about what's going on in his country with all the protests after a recent election in the Islamic Republic of Iran:
The son of Iran's late shah said Monday he saw echoes of the 1979 Islamic Revolution that overthrew his father as massive crowds took to the streets against the disputed re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

"I think the climate that we see in Iran today is not dissimilar to a few months of the regime back then," former crown prince Reza Cyrus Pahlavi, who lives in exile in suburban Washington, told CNN.

Pahlavi appealed to Western leaders, particularly President Barack Obama, to "show solidarity" with Iranians, likening their plight to that of Eastern Europeans during the Soviet era.

"I think any other signal other than this will be a slap in the face of the nation," Pahlavi said.
You know I just have to say, in 1979 they overthrew one oppressive regime for another. Now they protest against the current regime just as I imagine they did over 20 years ago. Perhaps whoever may win out after the protests have died down may allow the Iranian people more freedom than they've ever had.

At the same time I wonder if the Shah's son could just waltz into Iran and offer the freedom they've craved, although who's to say the opposition leader Mir-Hossein Mousavi would offer that freedom.

You know one angle is concern about the stability of this nuclear state. At this time I'm not even sure what to say about it. Would this arsenal be safe in the hands of the current regime or are there more radical forces out there who we should be concerned about it.

BTW, over at Instapundit you can see the President's response to this crisis that he released today and other responses to it!

I only post about this because I'm watching the coverage of it on FOX News.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!