Like & Share

Friday, May 29, 2009

West Side pastor reacts to indictment of Carothers on federal corruption charges

Another reaction from Rev. Ira Acree on the indictment of Issac Carothers and then perhaps it's time for me to move on to other stories. I think I should really tackle either the Roland Burris story or North Korea. Hmmm I have to decide.
Austin Pastor Ira Acree says Ald. Isaac "Ike" Carothers (29th Ward), indicted this afternoon on federal corruption charges, has done good work for the community and cautions against a rush to judgment.
...
Acree, pastor of Greater St. John Church, 1256 N. Waller, was out of town but spoke to the Austin Weekly News by phone. Acree said he learned of the indictment this morning.

"I'm saddened by the news and my prayers are with his family," he said of Carothers.

"We certainly wish the best for him and we don't want there to be a rush to judgment," Acree said.

Acree, a member of the LEADER's Network of West Side clergy, added that he'll contact Carothers on Friday, saying that he was going to "let him breathe" today.

"I've not talked with him recently but he's always accessible," he said.

Acree maintained that Carothers has worked hard for the community insisting, "that should stand for something." Acree also credited Carothers for listening to his and other community leaders' complaints about police misconduct.

"Instead of being totally dismissive of us, he held Jody Weis's feet to the floor and I appreciate that," he said, referring to the police superintendent.
Last night before I went to bed I posted a reaction from someone who didn't support the Alderman and now a reaction from someone who may very well support the alderman. If he doesn't he isn't jumping on the he's guilty bandwagon as of yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!