Like & Share

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Sometimes it's emotional

Going into election night I had no idea where it would go. My gut feeling was telling me it was going to be Clinton/Kaine, however this was going to be a close election. I felt as if Trump/Pence had enough support to give the Democrats a run for their money. Everyone in this country who paid attention to polls and trends were shocked.

On election night, I missed whatever state put Trump over the top as far as electoral votes. It might have been Pennsylvania or Arizona. Either way I was on the phone with a friend who was absolutely livid that the Republicans were even ahead in this race, he just didn't understand. He as a Black male thinks it's time to move to Canada, it won't be safe here.

He's echoing what was said by protestors in Chicago's Streeterville neighborhood where they chanted that they "want a president not a f*cking racist". It's a common belief unfortunately perhaps as a result of statements the candidate has made during the campaign. This leads me to a conclusion I've just realized.

As much as I attempt to approach politics with logic and reason it's often emotional for people. Perhaps many people are passionate when an issue resonates with someone emotionally. Case in point my friend he likes to talk a lot about race, to be honest I'm not that comfortable with that subject but he looked at this election as a Black male. Clearly the issue of race for many people is an emotional issue and we need not look further than our history to realize this.

I'm not going to try to break down this emotion over Trump's surprise victory with anything resembling the scientific method. Everyone has their reason why they seem to have taken this election hard. Fact is neither candidate had been ideal and yes for now America still doesn't have a woman as President. Or indeed America elected a President that didn't reflect the ideals they wanted to prevail.

So to echo a blog post title written here, where do we go from here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!