Like & Share

Monday, April 25, 2011

Obama's Awful '70s Show Echoes Jimmy Carter

Obama's Awful '70s Show Echoes Jimmy Carter

Well there are those who are comparing President Obama to President Jimmy Carter and as the link above indicates they're not just looking at similarities in style. The link from Daily Beast looks at how similar conditions are in the early twenty-teens as they were in the late 1970s. You will have to click the link for those bullet points.

The excerpt below takes aim at the political similarities between Obama and Carter. Mostly this excerpt focuses on Jimmy Carter. Unlike Obama currently, Carter had control of both house of Congress during his four years in the White House
Ask yourself if the following story does not sound like another president we could name The gregarious Massachusetts pol, House Speaker Tip O’Neill, could hardly have been more eager to work with a Democratic president after eight years of Nixon and Ford. But when they first met, and O’Neill attempted to advise Carter about which members of Congress might need some special pleading, or even the assorted political favor or two with regard to certain issues, to O’Neill’s open-jawed amazement, Carter replied, “No, I’ll describe the problem in a rational way to the American people. I’m sure they’ll realize I’m right.” The red-nosed Irishman later said he “could have slugged” Carter over this lethal combination of arrogance and naivety, but it would soon become Carter’s calling card.
....
Turning his back on O’Neill, his party and its primary constituencies, he accepted the Republican argument that the only way to solve the country’s economic problems was to attack the deficit. He would later explain to a group of political scientists after leaving the presidency, "A lot of my advisers, including Rosalyn, used to argue with me about my decision to move ahead with a project when it was obviously not going to be politically advantageous, or to encourage me to postpone it until a possible second term and so forth. It was just contrary to my nature...I just couldn't do it. Once I made a decision I was awfully stubborn about it.”
Via Instapundit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!