Like & Share

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Reflections

For me I thought that 2008 was a good year, and I hope that 2009 will prove to be a better year.

At the end of 2007 I started another blog, The Sixth Ward. Basically to talk about neighborhood issues in addition to city and state politics. I still do that here, but I want to appeal to a much broader audience. As a result this blog probably doesn't have the posts or traffic it might have gotten from 2006 to now. That is OK, because some things have to transition and I gotta find ways to stay fresh with this blog.

Also 2008 had a fair share of downs. The economy was sputtering for one thing and the future of this nation uncertain. Gas prices were high and people were losing their homes perhaps the prospect of losing some major American industries mainly the auto and financial services industries. I won't even speak of Iraq since I don't generally follow the news from there depending on the source it might either be a failure or the tide is turning towards success.

But there were some ups. In fact the biggest up was the election of Barack Obama as President of the United States of America. I honestly didn't think he'd make it, because he was very green, but fact is it was simply his time and the planets lined up for him perfectly. I really didn't have a dog in this fight because Obama wasn't my first choice in November, but neither was John McCain. I had a more vested interest in getting a con-con in Illinois although that constitutionally mandated referendum was soundly defeated at the polls as Obama got elected into history.

To reflect on election night when Obama was projected as the winner of the 2008 Presidential election I've never ever seen so many people excited. That was the most illuminating moment I have ever witnessed. Now why people were excited at times bothered me, but I like to see people excited about politics. How excited they remain will be another question, however the excitement forces me to say I'll give Obama a chance.

That reminds me, I'll post later a reflection that I wrote not too long after the elections. It was written for more private eyes, but it's something worth sharing now!

Well sadly that high was somewhat marred by the arrest of Governor Rod Blagojevich. Ironically almost a month after the spotlight was placed onto Chicago, Illinois it would be place on Chicago, Illinois again for less than idea circumstances. In this case unfortunately Blagojevich was arrested for attempting to "sell" the President-elect's vacated US Senate seat. This crisis continues to drag on into the New Year as the Governor not only refuses to resign or admit to wrong doing, but just a couple of days before New Year's he appoints Roland Burris to that Senate seat for which Blagojevich was arrested for placing on the auction block.

2009 will begin with state leadership figuring out what to do with this man who isn't willing to give up his office and continuing to find ways to keep him relevant while the state House of Representatives convenes a committee to consider starting the legislative process of removing him from the Governorship. Obama will be inaugurated President and I sincerely look forward to seeing what he'll do for this great nation. Certainly there will be other things I look forward to this year. What those are will be revealed as I go forward.

At this moment I'm watching Blackhawks/Red Wings at Wrigley Field. It was illuminating to hear the national anthem for a hockey game and it almost seemed like this was at the old Chicago Stadium. Blackhawks fans get very loud for this aspect of the game and I loved the way the organist played to the singing of the anthem. It almost reminded of me of how organs were something of a mainstay at hockey games or at least from the time I saw my first hockey game on TV.

The year is already off to a great start for me what about you? Happy new year everyone!

To usher in the New Years as had been done on Channel 7 last night with some Homecoming by Kanye West.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!