Like & Share

Sunday, July 20, 2008

It's the law: No sagging pants in Chicago suburb

AP story via Newsalert:
Be careful if you have saggy pants in the south Chicago suburb of Lynwood. Village leaders have passed an ordinance that would levy $25 fines against anyone showing three inches or more of their underwear in public.

Eugene Williams is the mayor of Lynwood. He says young men walk around town half-dressed, keeping major retailers and economic development away. He calls the new law a hot topic.

I've done other posts where there were similar proposals or laws enacted around the nation. I just feel like there are slippery slopes to this. I'm erring on the side of not criminalizing bad fashion choices.

If you want to encourage young men to say, dress in business attire, there are certainly better ways of achieving that than passing laws against bad fashion choices. If young men want to walk around with sagging pants showing their underwear and when running using one hand to hold up their pants and in addition to that incur the stereotypes that might come with the style, then let them. Hopefully they'll learn although unfortunately for some young men no one is around to teach them about how to dress.

RELATED ITEMS
Items about banning things
Another town bans sagging pants.
MyUrbanReport talks about an ATL ordinance banning sagging pants...
Low hanging pants

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, if you're not wearing underwear at all, then you're okay?

Levois said...

I think that would count under a bad fashion choice Mr. Anonymous.

Anonymous said...

A few years ago a friend of mine taught eighth grade at our neighborhood public school; she kept a pair of suspenders in her desk and would ask her male students to wear them during class if, as she said, "you are showing us more than we want to see." This was only for people whose trousers were really, really hanging low--she wasn't harrassing kids who wore ordinary low-hanging pants, just trying to police the more extreme and distracting cases. She said that eventually the suspenders disappeared because, apparently, someone decided they were cool and wanted to keep them, and she never got around to replacing them.

Anonymous said...

Banning sagging pants is just so ridiculous the police need to worrie about other things instead of picking on us teens on how we dress and im standing up for myself i dont care if its the law or not im a always sag my pants till the day i die fuck the law fuck the police..i dont let no one tell me how to dress shit if i dont listen to my parents when they tell me to pick my pants up what makes the police think im a listen to them..hahahaha i laugh at there law and i spit on it to.....if they have a problem with me speaking my mind they can come look for me i wont be hard to find i be sagging my pants every where i go even infront of the police station and i have done it before and they aint do shyt because Chicago police are fucking lazy!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Banning sagging pants is just so ridiculous the police need to worrie about other things instead of picking on us teens on how we dress and im standing up for myself i dont care if its the law or not im a always sag my pants till the day i die fuck the law fuck the police..i dont let no one tell me how to dress shit if i dont listen to my parents when they tell me to pick my pants up what makes the police think im a listen to them..hahahaha i laugh at there law and i spit on it to.....if they have a problem with me speaking my mind they can come look for me i wont be hard to find i be sagging my pants every where i go even infront of the police station and i have done it before and they aint do shyt because Chicago police are fucking lazy!!!!!!!

Crnk Mnyx said...

that last comment was... interesting? we'll see how long the law stays on the books.

anyway, I thought this was funny: Atlanta cop shoots man near courthouse: "... he couldn’t keep his baggy pants on his waist."

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!