Like & Share

Sunday, January 20, 2008

It's been two years already

That Pilgrim Baptist Church went up in flames. It was exactly on January 6, 2006. The church was a major landmark, it was said to be the home of gospel music.

Because it was a landmark the governor wanted to help by committing state funds to rebuilding the church. Also remember he was running for re-election that year. The mayor was a chairman of the fundraising effort. Though I can't say that I've heard much about the progress.

I rode by that place on a few occasions since that fire. The church was located at 3301 S. Indiana Ave. Of course all I saw even as recently as the summer was the outer walls with nothing inside as of yet.

Oh I should note that when that fire raged I blogged about it in the immediate aftermath.

BTW, I'm only talking about this because Lee Bey over at The Urban Observer talks about Pilgrim Baptist with a few of his pictures back on January 10th.

Addition: It looks there is some movement as to what will happen with this building link to EdwardLifson.com thru Lee Bey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!