Like & Share

Saturday, August 01, 2015

"Body Slam" #RIPRoddyPiper

Roddy Piper
One day I had been driving myself crazy thinking about the name of this movie. Body Slam starred "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, Sam Fatu and Dirk Benedict who was on the TV series The A-Team. The first two are actual pro wrestlers in fact Piper - who died Friday aged 61 - is a legend in his own right who had been inducted in the WWE Hall of Fame.

One time I had been thinking about wrestling movies and thought of Ready to Rumble and I had even forgotten about the more recent film The Wrestler. Also there had been this film starring Hulk Hogan called No Holds Barred. Most of those films other than Wrestler I'm sure no one takes seriously. No Holds was a bad movie and there are those who might consider the storylines to promote Rumble helped cause the untimely demise of World Championship Wrestling (WCW).

Regardless the death of the "Hot Rod" as Piper was also called during his legendary career forced me to look up this film. It was something I saw in the early 1990s on one of those cable movie channels either HBO or Showtime. It was something to watch and when you think about it quite cool to see other wrestling legends other than Piper. Nature Boy Ric Flair & Classy Freddie Blassie was also shown in the film even if in cameos.

Well, as a wrestling fan anyway this was certainly a movie to consider watching. It probably told a story about wrestling as they probably only could have in the late 1980s. Wrestler told a much different story about pro wrestling having been released in 2008.

Since it has been years since I have seen that film, it's time to be on the lookout and check it out. It's a great way to remember the legendary Roddy Piper as surely many of his fans are reminiscing about his time in the public spotlight. He wasn't just a wrestling who fans either loved or loved to hate, he was also an actor who made other movies in addition to Body Slam.

When you think about it, it's hard for me to think of any classic matches he had. Probably because I missed them for the most part. He had an angle fighting Hogan's nWo in the 1990s and I vaguely remember his return to the WWE universe not long after Vince McMahon purchased WCW. Perhaps it's also time for me to find some of Piper's greatest moments as a pro wrestler.

May the Hot Rod rest in peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!