Like & Share

Thursday, April 03, 2014

To ask for it and/or to follow-up...


[VIDEO] Since I've started job hunting, there has been a lot of time used for Googling advice. Then one morning I found this link via Ask a Manager which linked to an article from The Onion which contained a video. We know that The Onion is satirical and as a result it's safe to say that what's included herein isn't fact. Perhaps gumption isn't or wasn't the way to find a job at least as the above grandfather attempted to state.

This leads me to the next topic I want to discuss, following-up. In my current job hunt, I have been loathe to do that and it seems always have been. It hasn't been entirely true however as there have been times where there were attempts on my end to follow-up on applications and such.

Thankfully with tools such as e-mail available and you know some contacts at a particular employer it should be made easier. Although another question is whether or not the employer will respond and give you an up-or-down vote.

Since I've been looking recently there have only been only two attempts at following-up. Both times I learned that I wasn't going to get the job and one of those situations was illustrated here. The other one was spur of the moment at the encouragement of a friend and it feels even worse getting the bad news in person!

In that spur of the moment instance, I only talked to the hiring manager and never the manager who interviewed me. While the hiring manager gave me information that suggested I likely didn't get the job, he did give good advice that I never took thanks to my disappointment. He suggested that I call the interviewer to follow-up and never did so.

Another way I've followed-up over the years is straight asking if an employer - mostly stores - were doing any hiring. This was primarily done via e-mail - as stated I find that easier - and got some responses although not always. This helped guide me as I continued my search.

Years ago I made a crude attempt at following-up by sending in resumes and applications via "snail-mail" and unfortunately netted utterly no response. Then again that was when I knew very little about job hunting and it's various nuances as there's a way to follow-up that would allow for someone to actually talk to you.

It's really tough out there, but the bottom line is that there is advice that suggest that you shouldn't follow-up. However, there are managers who are approachable enough to ask about opportunities and even with regards to following-up on applications or even hiring timetables. Again there is a way to do this to gain some success however whether you do or you don't should be done on a case-by-case basis.

BTW, at the end of The Onion article the grandfather interviewed also found his wife at the place where he found his job. I suppose it all takes initiative doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!