Like & Share

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

I wonder if US Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas is right...

Justice Clarence Thomas
Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas gave a talk to college students and while at times in the community he hasn't gotten a lot of love perhaps he's right about this:
My sadness is that we are probably today more race and difference-conscious than I was in the 1960s when I went to school. To my knowledge, I was the first black kid in Savannah, Georgia, to go to a white school. Rarely did the issue of race come up,” Thomas said during a chapel service hosted by the nondenominational Christian university. “Now, name a day it doesn’t come up. Differences in race, differences in sex, somebody doesn’t look at you right, somebody says something. Everybody is sensitive. If I had been as sensitive as that in the 1960s, I’d still be in Savannah. Every person in this room has endured a slight. Every person. Somebody has said something that has hurt their feelings or did something to them — left them out.
The part I put in bold are what you should keep an eye on. It's easy to be sensitive about evertyhing, but what ever was said to Justice Thomas he didn't let it hold him back. And nor should any of us.

Perhaps we are more race conscious today in America. What can we blame that on, the past? Or perhaps being race conscious can bring some benefits, rightly or wrongly.

BTW, the Justice has also claimed that he faced more discrimination and poor treatment from northern liberals than from southerners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!