Like & Share

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Science and Tech Education for Students of Color




[VIDEO] via Electronic Village. I can relate by the time I took a computer class in high school (Go FALCONS!) in the late 90s the computers and programs we used were behind the times. In fact at home I used a PC that had Windows 95, the PCs in high school were still using like Windows 3.0 and a dot-matrix printer. Here is a quote from Electronic Village:
The point was made that there are very few African Americans being funded for technology start-ups in Silicon Valley. It is obvious that creating a vanguard of technology CEOs begins with the education that we give to our young people.
The emphasis is made by the author at Electronic Village. ;)

In any event, I joined an entrepreneurship club back in my junior year of high school. The expectation was members come up with a business plan and it was something that I never did, however, one idea was to utilize a computer. Perhaps use a computer for the purposes of publishing. Of course during most of that period there wasn't an up to date PC at home. If I had such a business plan that utilized a PC where could it have gone today!

Can a young black person (or other "minority") out of high school or even college come up with a technology idea that will change the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!