Like & Share

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ames Straw Poll and Rick Perry's entry...

The Ames Iowa Straw Poll was won by MN Congresswoman Michelle Bachman:
Fresh off of her victory in the Iowa Straw Poll, Rep. Michele Bachmann said today she has broader appeal beyond a Tea Party and social conservative base, and that she can compete on a national stage with other Republican candidates and with President Barack Obama.

"Everywhere I've gone, all across Iowa, there isn't an event that I do that I don't have people come up who say that, 'Michele, I'm a Democrat, and I'm voting for you,' 'I'm an independent, and I'm voting for you,'" Bachmann said on "This Week." "And I think it's because I'm talking about what people really care about, and that's turning the economy around and job creation.

"I think what people see in me is that I'm a real person. I'm authentic," Bachmann said. "And they want someone who's going to go to Washington and represent their values. ... That's really what you saw here in Iowa in the straw poll yesterday. You saw a big message sent to Washington."

Bachmann took first place Saturday in the straw poll, with 28 percent of the nearly 17,000 votes cast. That was enough to beat close challenger Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, who finished with 27 percent of the vote.
Her fellow Minnesotan, former Gov. Tim Pawlenty placed third and Marathon Pundit notes that Pawlenty has withdrawn from the 2012 race. The day of the straw poll saw the entry of current TX Gov. Rick Perry into the Presidential race.

Now that Perry is in for certain we're going to see some good things about him and Tribune columnist Eric Zone has found some mostly negative links about him. It's the "Rick Perry reader" of course if you know any good links in favor of Perry, feel free to share.

I think at this point the Republican Presidential Race is still up for grabs. Straw poll victory or not I just do not see a front runner at this point!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!