Like & Share

Saturday, November 27, 2010

35 Ways You Can Help the Homeless

I'll be honest I tend to just not respond to the homeless. Just have my ideas about some of them mainly that they beg and offer nothing else. Perhaps I don't trust them.

Well this list gives me something to consider. If the homeless begs who's to say I have to give them money. Could always offer a donation to a local homeless shelter. At that I could always offer them some information that could help them get off the streets. Ultimately that would be what I would like to see. Not sure standing on the streets looking for a handout is what will get them off the streets.

Let me also be honest I don't know much about how they got to where they are or what their backgrounds are. All the same I would never offer money, but certain offer them something that I take for granted such as food.

Via Chicago News Bench.

1 comment:

The Peter Files Blog of Comedy said...

I have always felt that, other than buying Streetwise, the best way to help the homeless was to feed them. By that I mean putting a serving of fresh tasty sealed nutritious food directly in their hands instead of cash. When someone was genuinely homeless I have found the reaction to this to be usually gratitude.

I used to do this most often on my way in or out from work. I found McDonald's $1 double cheeseburgers to be most welcome as well as wild cherry yogurt servings the kind with real fruit on the bottom. There was one guy I used to see every day on the off ramp of I-94. I started feeding him yogurt every day. The first day he was a little suspicious but by day two he was looking for me because it tasted really good. It had come from my own lunch. That first day he looked like hell. A benefit of feeding someone yogurt is that not only is it a dairy product but the acidophilous works on healing the stomach. After two months he was able to stop begging and got a job somewhere. I was pleased. Fruit keeps well also. So if you don't want to buy someone's next drink - give them some food.

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!