Like & Share

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Illinoize: When the Law is an Ass

A post written by Cal Skinner who also blogs at McHenry County blog talks about a black man who has been in jail for just about 26 years for a murder he didn't commit. Apparently another man's lawyers knew that their client has actually committed that murder, it was because he admitted it, BTW. Anyway thanks to lawyer-client privilege their hands were tied.

I wonder if they could have convinced him to turn himself in. I wonder if that's what they did and he wouldn't do it and there wasn't much to do. Unfortunately I have no way of knowing that angle. If they didn't convince him then I certainly think that's a problem and perhaps the lawyers didn't do their jobs. Of course I would wonder if that would preserve lawyer client privilege.

In any event, this man has been in jail 26 years for a crime he didn't commit. Apparently the lawyers and judges involved have yet to figure out how to get this man free. Then Cal Skinner wants the lawyering (I think I just made that word up) profession to adjust their ethics rules to assure that there won't be another situation like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!