Like & Share

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Romantic text messages between Detroit mayor, aide contradict court testimony

Oh no!!! Please don't let this be true about Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. Well it might affect him politically I hope, but it might still hurt him with someone.

I ran into a guy at school who was up on the political scene in Detroit. Said that the mayor liked to play politics that to me might mean, he plays games instead of actually getting stuff done. If nothing else Detroit doesn't need games they need results or something like that. Kilpatrick's a relatively young guy in fact I don't think he's 40 yet.

Anyway here's the story...

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick exchanged romantic text messages with a top aide, contradicting their denials in court that they had romantic ties, a newspaper reported.

Wayne County prosecutor's spokeswoman Maria Miller declined to comment on the legal implications of the report, posted Tuesday on the Detroit Free Press' Web site. A conviction of lying under oath can bring up to 15 years' imprisonment.

Kilpatrick and [Christine] Beatty testified last summer in a police whistle-blower lawsuit and denied any sexual or romantic ties in 2002 and 2003. But the Free Press said it examined about 14,000 text messages on Beatty's city-issued pager and found many examples of such ties.

Kilpatrick is married, and Beatty was married at the time.

''I'm madly in love with you,'' Kilpatrick wrote on Oct. 3, 2002.

''I hope you feel that way for a long time,'' Beatty replied. ''In case you haven't noticed, I am madly in love with you, too!''

On Oct. 16, 2002, Kilpatrick wrote Beatty: ''I've been dreaming all day about having you all to myself for 3 days. Relaxing, laughing, talking, sleeping and making love.''

Kilpatrick issued a statement Wednesday night saying the messages ''reflect a very difficult period in my personal life.''

''It is profoundly embarrassing to have these extremely private messages now displayed in such a public manner,'' he said. ''My wife and I worked our way through these intensely personal issues years ago. I would now ask that the public and the media respect the privacy of my wife and children and of Christine Beatty and her children at this deeply painful moment for our families.''
This almost looks Clintonesque, but at least der schlick didn't have the luxury of text messaging back then. Now we have Blackberries and such products like that and I suppose public administrators such as Mayor Kilpatrick and his chief of staff are going to use them. Sometimes for different reasons than they were supposed to be used. This is a mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!