Frank Guzzetta, CEO of Macy's North, formerly Marshall Field's, predicts this holiday season's sales will equal those of a year ago and end years of declining sales.We'll see is all that I can say.
Macy's recently started a new campaign, "My Macy's," in which each store is being designed and merchandised to reflect local tastes, Guzzetta said.
Macy's holiday celebrations occur Saturday, Nov. 10: Windows with the Nutcracker theme will be unveiled at 9 a.m.; Santa will appear at 10 a.m. in the Cozy Cloud Cottage, and Martha Stewart will light the Great Tree in the Walnut Room at noon.
At 111 N. State St., a flagship store, for example, Macy's:
• • Has added an exclusive 5,200-square-foot FAO Schwarz shop on the fifth floor, filled with life-size stuffed animals and retro children's kitchenware.
• • Is creating a "blockbuster headquarters" for the exclusive Tommy Hilfiger brand.
• • Recently started offering free Wi-Fi access in certain areas.
• • Offers a greater selection of denims and casual clothes than in the past.
• • Is nearing a deal to bring a grocery store.
• • Will soon introduce new shops and brands for the site.
At the unveiling of the new FAO Schwarz store Thursday, the theme was obvious: Macy's is appealing to newcomers while still trying to prove to loyalists that it is the place for warm holiday memories.
The State Street store will cater to new residents moving downtown with a campaign to furnish their homes, Guzzetta said in an upbeat analysis after the toy shop event.
Saturday, November 03, 2007
Macy's holiday cheer forecast
Macy's is still attempting to show that they can make it in Chicago. They hope that this year will end years of declining sales at the Macy's unit that used to be known as Marshall Field's...