A man was killed Wednesday night when he plunged eight stories from a balcony inside Macy's State Street store in downtown Chicago. Police this morning said the death appeared to be a suicide.Yeah I hope there will be updates on what happened to the man.
The incident occurred shortly after 8 p.m., a few minutes after the sprawling department store at 111 N. State St. had closed for the night, according to police.
Witnesses said they saw the 29-year-old man on the 8th floor near the balcony shortly before he plunged to the ground inside the building's main atrium, near the corner of Randolph and State Streets, police said. Belmont Area detectives were still trying to determine late Wednesday whether the man fell or jumped.
A Central District police captain said there were numerous customers and employees on the first floor of the atrium who saw the man land, but officers had not found anyone who saw how he fell.
He was taken in critical condition to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after arriving, police said. The man was not a Macy's employee. A Cook County medical examiner's office spokesman could not confirm the fatality Wednesday night.
Jennifer McNamara, a Macy's spokeswoman, said they are investigating the incident and referred all questions to the Chicago Police Department.
Also the Macy's food court is going to be reopened after the city inspectors give their OK...
Chicago health inspectors gave the food court on the lower level of Macy's State Street store the green light to reopen Wednesday afternoon, two days after it was closed for multiple violations, including an infestation of fruit flies.
Inspectors from the Chicago Department of Public Health evaluated the conditions of the MarketPlace food court, at 111 N. State, and determined "all the violations had been brought up to code," said department spokeswoman Sheri Brazley.
The store will offer a buy-one-get-one-free deal at the food court as a way of thanking customers for their patience, Brazley said.
On Monday, the food court was found to have a fruit-fly infestation; a leaking three-compartment sink; waste-water backing up from a clogged floor drain; and a poorly maintained inside trash area, where grease and food debris were found on the floor and walls around a receptacle, the department said.
Also on Wednesday, city inspectors found mice and fruit flies in a "limited area" of the kitchen of Navy Pier's Grand Ballroom Wednesday, forcing the city to halt on-site food preparation until it passes a reinspection.