Like & Share

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Batman movie filming to close downtown streets

This story was in my daily Crain's email today...
Filming for “The Dark Knight” will prompt the closing of some downtown streets through Sunday.

Lower Wacker Drive from Harrison Street to Michigan Avenue will be closed from 7 p.m. until 6 a.m. Thursday and Friday, reopening at 6 a.m. Saturday.

Lower Michigan Avenue from Lower Wacker Drive to South Water Street will be closed from 6 p.m. Saturday to 6 a.m. Sunday.

The lowest level of Randolph Street and Columbus Drive will be closed from 6 p.m. Sunday to 6 a.m. Monday.

The scenes to be shot involve high-speed chases and pyrotechnics, according to Rich Moskal, director of the Chicago Film Office.
You know a few weeks ago I drove by the old main post office near Canal and Van Buren. I saw a sign for the Gotham Police Department which for some reason gave me a flash to the 1960s Batman series with Adam West and Burt Ward. This sign was on the Chicago River side.

The front of the building was emblazoned with Gotham National Bank. So the old main post office housed a Gotham police station and I assume the main branch of "Gotham National Bank". This is certainly a creative use for a building that hasn't been used much in the last decade.

BTW, I went by the building today. I intended to take picture but I had problems with my digital camera. I might drop by again, but I may just get the Gotham police sign because the Gotham National Bank sign is no longer there. Darn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!