Like & Share

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

To expose my biases here...

A disappointing night. It's not the end of the world. There were some races I wish were won, but there not and what can I say that's politics. I just know that in a few years there will be another election and hopefully the right people will succeed in ways they couldn't this time.

To start Topinka was never my first choice as far as Republican challengers go, but she was going to be the one to beat Blagojevich. I get the sense that a lot of people around the state don't like him but most of them voted for him. This was not a landslide by any means. It seems he started off very high but as time went on it was almost 49 to 40 percent for Blagojevich for re-election. He didn't get one more than half for a majority, which doesn't indicate to me that he's very popular, but what counts at least in Illinois is that if you get a higher percent than your opponent you win your race.

The county board race in Cook County we'll have to see. For President Peraica is losing and he's barely squeaking past his opponent for his county board seat (Thanks Capitol Fax Blog). It looks like though that he isn't willing to concede yet, so we'll have to see how this will look. I would be very disappointed if Ald. Todd Stroger wins this race for County Board President.

As for the US Congress, well the House of Representatives is called for the Democrats. I haven't really been following the Congressional Races, mainly because it's not my interest. But things are going to be interesting since Democrats have control of the lower house of Congress. And remember this is only for two years. If this election was a referendum on President Bush well it has been proven in the house. There are some things for sure to be concerned about especially the war in Iraq and other things.

If Republicans are disappointed in these results they should consider this a kick in the pants. Democrats should really not rest on their laurels. It's going to take more than this election for them to really gloat (at least the national Democrats). But I guess all I can say is watch and see.

Other than that I must say that for the most part this is the first election day this blog has ever seen. Perhaps not a very triumphant day, but the lead up was interesting. And guess what there's going to be even more speculation and predictions galore.

So I suppose until next election day. And I'm talking about the Chicago municipal elections and then the next Presidential election year both primary and general election. Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!