Like & Share

Monday, August 28, 2006

Mission: Impractical

I'm late in posting this but I figure why not. I didn't get to watch Mission:Impossible three when I saw it back in May but this MSNBC article just give me a cheap reason to talk about that movie.

I'll talk about that movie in a minute but how about this article I just found today. It discusses how the Impossible Missions Force (IMF) is bad for America. Wow someone is actually pondering the role of a fictional intelligence agency.

In any case here's a little taste of this article...

Yes, on one level this scene simply opens the door for the sequels. But on another level it makes Hunt the new Phelps. And Phelps betrayed us. Since the movie places Hunt where we first saw Phelps, it doesn’t take much of a leap in logic to realize that one day Hunt will betray us, too, and he’ll have to be chased and killed by his protégé, who will replace him. And on and on, world without end.

Watching the credits roll back in 1996 I thought, “Wow, what a cynical end!” Except nobody felt what I felt. “Dude, it’s just an action movie,” is basically the response I got.

Now having watched the first two “Mission: Impossible” movies again in anticipation of the third, I have to say they’re right. The ending to “Mission: Impossible” doesn’t say something cynical about the spy game. The entire series says something cynical about the spy game. Because the main message of the “M:I” movies is this: We need IMF agents to protect us...from IMF agents.


Oh and I just have to point out this shot taken at our efforts to find Osama bin Laden. This may have been more humor than a critique of our efforts in the War on Terror...

Questions inevitably arise. Why did IMF need Hunt to recruit Nyah? Couldn’t they have imprisoned (and tracked) her without her knowledge? And once they found Ambrose’s hideout — an isolated coastal mansion in Australia — why not bomb it back to the stone age? And why leave Hunt in charge of the mission since 1) he’s the one agent Ambrose knows better than himself, and 2) he’s emotionally compromised? Who’s in charge of IMF anyway — Michael Chertoff?

But at least IMF found their most-wanted man, which is more than we’ve done with ours. Maybe we should’ve sent Thandie Newton to Tora Bora.


Honestly I liked the Mission:Impossible movies. I liked the series too when they were on reruns on FX (Now the home of such great TV programming as The Shield, Rescue Me, & Nip/Tuck to name a few). Of course somehow they had to make Tom Cruise the star but was a little disapointed when they made Jim Phelps the villain and killed him twice in the movie. The second time was the charm.

Well I saw the third movie and it came just in time for people to hear more about Tom Cruise's religion, Scientology. I get the sense that people were tired of hearing about it and his relationship with Katie Holmes. Indeed it seemed some of the subplot of this movie may have been loosely lifted off the tabloids.

I liked this movie. Like I said I liked them all but this movie goes back to the basic element of the Mission:Impossible series, teamwork. It just would be nice if instead of having a big star of the movie that there would be more of an ensemble cast.

I just found out that this movie will be released as a special collector's DVD October 30th. I hope you buy it and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated because one random commenter chose to get comment happy. What doesn't get published is up to my discretion. Of course moderating policy is subject to change. Thanks!